Monday, August 25, 2008

My worries... they're nothing in comparison!

Now that I'm aware of John's issue with his tonsils it's on my mind all the time. He now weighs just over 27lbs at 3yr 3mo old. That's how big Polly was when she was 2... It's so sad b/c he just burns so many calories trying to breath at night and has a hard time eating b/c he can't swallow too much food. Only 10 more days until his surgery so I couldn't be happier to see those tonsils go.

I think he is going to be a whole new child in his eating and sleeping habits and hopefully he'll start to gain some weight.

I think the most exciting part for me with all of this is knowing that my kids will be there at the finish line watching me. They totally won't understand what they are watching but some day, they'll have an "ah ha" moment and realize what this meant to me. It's going to be an amazing day full of determination - hope - and completion through out the day.

The completion won't just happen at the finish line, I'll be completing things all day long. Completing the swim, completing the first loop of the bike, even just completing a big hill. But ultimately I'll be completing my first year of Turning Miles into Smiles.

This past year we raised $23,400+ dollars for The Smile Train. We can NOT forget why I did this. There are children whose parents have lost all hope. I think I'm sad b/c John has issues with his tonsils! These parents have given up hope for their child ever living a normal life. They don't have the options we have to just fix it.

The Smile Train makes sure that these children are healed and in healing them their families and communities are touched. While my race will be long, some of the children walk for days or weeks just to put their name on a list for surgery. They are barefoot, poor, hungry, but determined and hopeful. Their goal is a smile. A simple smile that will change their life.

Thank you to everyone who donated their time, dollars, prayers, and support to Turning Miles into Smiles.

September 2008-September 2009 will be filled with lots of endurance running and ultra marathons. Again, we'll be raising money for The Smile Train and I'm hopeful that we can hit the $30,000 mark for our annual donation.

The Smile Train Triathlon will be back next year as well so stay tuned to www.milesintosmiles.com!

No comments: