Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Toronto, Saturday, July 13, 2013


2:50pm
I’m already tired and it’s only the first day away… it could be from the 3 hours of non-stop walking around downtown Toronto.  I took a shuttle downtown (so easy!) and walked down to the water.  It was beautiful!  There was an outdoor art exhibit near the Harbor and they were setting up for a cool outdoor festival too.  

I did notice one thing… perhaps they don’t have Target here because the logo for the Harbour and Target are the same! 

Next sight to see was the CN tower and the sports arena.  I was surprised at how many residences there were in downtown Toronto – actually, Toronto reminded me quite a bit of NYC without the mess, homeless people, and crazy cab drivers!  I made my way to City Hall where there was a Taste of Thai going on – super neat but I didn’t want to eat any crazy food.  Right before I begin 17 hours of flying is not the time to experiment with new foods.   
While I was walking I noticed a big castle looking building, it was the Queen’s Park so I made my way up there.   A very small parade was going on – not sure what it was for but there were many marching bands, some bagpipe guys, an aging drum major twirling his drum major staff thingy, and lots of people wearing Orange.  The thing that stood out the most to me was how clean the downtown was.  I didn’t see one single person begging or panhandling – it was very nice!  The strangest thing I saw a full Italian restaurant in Toronto’s China-town.  It made me smile.

So by 2pm I was back at the Toronto Airport with hours to kill so it’s time for some quality American filmmaking.  The thing I already miss the most?  ICE!  Everyone around here drinks things without ice or sells bottled beverages – I just want some ice to crunch on.  Is that an American thing?

No comments: